April Maker challenge 9- mixer to food mill adapter

In canning, when making sauce or jelly, the easiest way to go is to use a strainer to separate seeds and peels from the desired fruit meat. The drawback is you get crank arm eventually, because you have to turn the crank for sometimes up to a couple of hours at a stretch and, while it's not terribly physically demanding, the long throw of the crank means that your whole arm is involved which can really wear on the joints.

To that end, I've decided to make myself an adapter that will let me join my strainer to the PTO (or whatever it's actually called) on the front of my KitchenAid mixer. I bought a couple of universal joints at Ax-man that should do the trick nicely (necessary because the height of the mixer PTO and the height of the mill axis are not the same; I considered making a platform that the mixer can sit on and the mill could clamp to which would position the two machines to be coaxial but frankly, I'm not crazy about having to line them up THAT carefully every time, so two U-joints it is). This is going to take me a couple of hours in the machine shop probably, but since I had the mill already, buying the attachment for the mixer would have felt like a waste. Plus, I like the idea of being able to drive it by hand if necessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18 Essential Skills for a Maker

Breadboarding the Arduino- part 1

In Which I Create A Kerfuffle